Saturday, November 9, 2013

Count On Yoga: 3 Ways Yoga Keeps You Fit


Usually, we all need reasons, really good reasons to start a new habit! You always want to see how it will benefit you, and the advantages of starting it. That was me when I first decided to start yoga. I found 3 of the many ways yoga will keep me fit, and can keep YOU fit. You can always count of yoga! If you've never practiced yoga, you've probably heard before that it can and will improve your health. It isn't a myth...

On this week's blog, I will explain the 3 ways yoga keeps you healthy! Pourquoi trois?

Flexibility
I had gym class in high school twice in 3 years, for each of those semesters, I was never able to touch my toes; sitting down or standing up. I always blamed it on my height: "My legs are too long, I can't even reach that far". Then I started to see girls, and guys taller than me, with longer legs that were able to touch their toes... that really made me think, "I am probably not flexible enough". As a regular yoga practitioner I noticed that yoga helped my flexibility. With the crazy postures that are held for a long time, I started to feel my muscles loosening up, and my hamstrings not hurting as I would bend down to reach my toes. I can proudly say yoga is a great way to see your reaching points, and really attain goals! I am able to touch my toes now :)



Standing Orders
Not only that I am not flexible, but I do also have a back disease called scoliosis. Scoliosis is when your spine is bent at a certain degree, and that does affect the way you stand! On top of the fact that I have back problems, I am constantly working or at school, my body is always tired! The fatigue does lead me to slump a little, and that is also why I made a choice to start practicing yoga and made it a weekly routine! I made it part of my schedule.

Yoga helps your standing orders in many ways, there is the postures laying on your back that to help it straighten a little, and there is also the postures that require you to stretch your back, and bend it frequently so that the muscle are not so tight. Any way you may practice yoga, your body is always improving, in a healthy way!


Breathing
According to Yoga Journal: "A 1998 study published in The Lancet taught a yogic technique known as "complete breathing" to people with lung problems due to congestive heart failure. After one month, their average respiratory rate decreased from 13.4 breaths per minute to 7.6."

Reading this information, I did notice that my breathing had also improved! After several yoga practices, I started to tone up, started to breathe easier, and started to realize my endurance is greater. Before yoga, I use to jog a couple times a week, after taking yoga I noticed that I can run longer distances and I truly believe it is thanks to yoga. My  breathing is much more smooth, and I feel much more healthy. During yoga, it isn't only about your posture but you must emphasize on your breathing!

I personally think, yoga should be a class everyone should try! It is an easy and calming way to get yourself in shape, and to ease your mind, physically and emotionally! Thank you for checking out these 3 amazing ways yoga can keep you fit, stay tune for next weeks blog :)

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/1634

4 comments:

  1. This is some great information! I will have to take this information and apply it to my life! It is crazy how just different techniques for breathing can help. I know forsure I will have to work on my flexibility because I can never touch my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are only 3 out of 36 ways I found that, yoga can help improve your health! It completely agree with you, it is very fascinating! Even if you decide not to practice yoga,I can give you a tip that did help improve my flexibility without a daily session! So, I started slacking and not being able to make it to couple of my yoga classes, but I didn't want to lose the flexibility I started to build. I decided to wake up every morning and keep stretching, simple stretches! I would reach for my toes, and eventually I would get closer and closer. So, I do know you have a job, and you have school, so you probably can't make it to plenty of yoga classes, so even basic stretches at home will help improve your flexibility :)

      Delete
  2. I can’t touch my toes either, but I’d love to practice yoga just so I could become more flexible. It’s interesting to know that doing yoga can really improve your health by loosening the muscles. Also, you have truly encouraged me to start practising yoga! I like that fact that it improves your breathing and eases your mind. Fascinating blog, I can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fatima! But yes, I know so many of my friends that can't touch their toes, and my brother as well! However, my oldest sister does Pilates, which is an exercise close to yoga, and she has gotten so flexible. My sister really encourages me to keep fit that way my hamstrings can loosen up, and I will be much more flexible! I really do encourage you to try it Fatima, you won't be discouraged. :)

      Delete