Sunday, October 13, 2013

Asanas (Yoga Poses)


There are many types of yoga exercises. There are also just as many yoga poses, and each one can affect your body or mind in a different way.
Asana can be defined as a physical Yoga posture, any type of posture, whether you are sitting, standing, stretching or even have your legs behind your head is known to be an asana. These asanas are made to master the body and strengthen the body's functions. According to Isha: "  “Asana” quite simply means “a posture.” Any way that we may sit, stand or position our hands is an asana. And so, innumerable asanas are possible. However, a particular posture that leads you to a higher possibility is called a yogasana." *


http://blog.ishafoundation.org/yoga-meditation/demystifying-yoga/an-asana-can-change-your-life/Yoga poses are, Yoga exercises  that create strength and endurance. When I first started doing yoga last year, I thought I would never see changes with my body, however when I visited my doctor couple months ago, he told me the circulation in my blood has drastically improved. Yoga does not only help the body in a long term period, and I realized that as I was sitting in silence, thinking of how joyful it was being alone, and so relaxed, it helps the mind! When I do Yoga, I don't see the body results within a day, or a week; however, the results become noticeable after a month and I can honestly say, it is one of the greatest feelings. After practising yoga regularly, my body reaches a point of relaxation, and that is mainly the goal of this exercise. 


In the Yoga Sutras, Pantanjali suggests that the only requirement for practising asanas is that it be "steady and comfortable".** So, many of you whom have tried yoga for the first time, might have not liked it. I can relate to that, because that was once me. Once you follow Pantanjali, and you are comfortable in your positions, you may start to like it and may go further with the steps. Just a reminder,

Performing asanas:

Before practicing different asanas, I noticed that my stomach should be empty. After my first time doing yoga, I was twisting, moving and stretching my inflexible body. During my session I started getting cramps because I had ate couple hours before. It was more of the painful cramps, it was not really the experience I was hoping of having on my first time doing asanas.

Another thing that you should keep in mind is, trying to control your breathing. When I was younger, I did track and field. My coach always told me that the way you breathe really helps your endurance and keeps a rhythm to your run. I try to control my breathing with almost any, and all the exercises I practice. As I was doing yoga, breathing properly did save me much more energy, and at last the breathing helps because it keeps your mind in a peaceful place.

As a little tip, I really suggest you to keep your stomach empty, or eating something little before your exercise, and at last control your breathing because it helps your body in various ways!


Number of positions
According to Wikipedia: "In 1959, Swami Vishnu-devananda published 66 basic postures and 136 variations of those postures. 
In 1975, Sri Dharma Mittra suggested that "there are an infinite number of asanas." He eventually compiled a list of 1300 variations, coming from contemporary gurus, yogis, and ancient and contemporary texts."**

As I lay on my yoga mat, I change my posture frequently, but I could not imagine compiling a list of 1300 variations. The work of gurus, yogis and ancient texts really fascinate me, and that's why I really wanted to share it with you on this week's blog! 
See you next week :)


* http://blog.ishafoundation.org/yoga-meditation/demystifying-yoga/an-asana-can-change-your-life/ - second paragraph.

 
**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asana
 

1 comment:

  1. I have never tired Yoga before but after reading this post I think i it sounds like a great way to relax and keep your body in shape. I love how there is tons of different positions that you can do, instead of being placed in the same position for 20 minutes! I also love the fact that yoga is a very historical way to relax and has a lot of meaning behind it. I can't wait to hit the yoga mats next time I go to the gym. Thank Josie!

    ReplyDelete